The Sammy Awards are voted on by Atlas team members who wish to recognize excellence among their peers.
It was a star-studded evening complete with a red carpet and Oscar-esque award statues on Friday, Jan. 27 at the Hyatt Regency in Dearborn, Mich.
“Atlas Oil is a company that prides itself on its entrepreneurial spirit and core values, said Sam Simon, CEO of Atlas and in whose honor the awards were named. “The Sammy Awards were created to recognize and reward team members for providing valuable contributions to the company.”
Six team members and one c-store were singled out for awards in the following categories:
- Ambassador/Core Value Award(core values)
- Mark Robinson, Controller
- Boom Goes the Dynamite (highest profitability sales/biggest contribution)
- Sara Crooks, Director of Taxation
- Our Hero Award(innovation)
- Keith Wyatt, Sr. Systems Optimization Specialist
- Ramzi Simon Exceptional Customer Service Award(named after Sam Simon’s father and represents customer focus)
- Marlene Jewell, Accounts Receivable Team Leader
- Ramzi Simon Exceptional Customer Service Award(individual c-store team member)
- Dave Arehart, Customer Service Representative
- We Deliver Service – Not Excuses(c-store award)
- Griffiths AMPM, Griffith, Ind.
The event was the culmination of a yearlong team member recognition program where employees voted quarterly for their peers. The Sammy Academy, a volunteer team representing all areas of the company, chose final winners based on the merits of the nominations.
Final winners in each category received an all-expenses paid Royal Caribbean cruise for themselves and a guest along with spending cash.
Unlike top-down reward systems, the Sammy Awards are voted on by team members who wish to recognize excellence among their peers. With a strong corporate culture as a mainstay, Atlas is regularly recognized as a top place to work by its team members.
Atlas was formed in 1985 and today has more than 400 employees and does business in 23 states. The company’s commercial transportation business supplies Fortune 500 companies with innovative fuel solutions. Atlas also has a mobile fueling tank wagon business and supplies nearly 400 retail gas stations representing six gasoline brands.