At a time when 26 million Americans are living with diabetes, and the incidence of the disease is on the rise, expected to affect nearly 37 million people by 2015, (according to Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index), JEWEL-OSCO has launched its whole-store health and wellness program called “living healthy with my diabetes.”
The program offers a variety of resources to make life easier for customers living with diabetes, including educational materials, health screening tests, group and individual diabetes education and training programs, medication management consultations, nutrition information, dietary tools, products and other services.
In addition to the resources that will be available year-round, JEWEL-OSCO plans to kick off the program with a number of special, limited-time offers between Nov. 7 and Nov. 20, in honor of American Diabetes Month, including:
* Free blood glucose test screenings at select locations on Saturday, Nov. 13, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* Health screenings at participating stores for A1C, cholesterol and liver function for just $19.99
* Savings booklets for discounts on diabetes-related products, while supplies last
Program elements that are available year-round include:
* “Eating Healthy with Diabetes” store tours guided by specially trained pharmacists and registered dietitians covering topics such as choosing healthy foods, reading Nutrition Facts labels and identifying better-for-you food options
* Diabetes-friendly menu ideas and recipes, which can be accessed online through www.jewelosco.com when visitors click the “healthy eating” link
* Diabetes-friendly shopping lists, menu ideas and recipes, which are also available on JEWEL-OSCO’s Web site
* In-store pharmacy services including diabetes education, diabetes self-management services, blood glucose screenings, blood pressure monitoring and face-to-face medication reviews
* Nutrition information from registered dietitians
* Diabetes products such as equaline test strips, glucose tablets, blood pressure monitors, lancets, and latex and vinyl gloves
“Eating a well-balanced diet, including appropriate activity and taking medications as prescribed by your doctor are key when living with diabetes,” said JEWEL-OSCO Registered Dietitian Kim Kirchherr, MS, RD, LDN, CDE. “Our neighborhood grocery stores are uniquely positioned to be a one-stop solution for people with diabetes. In addition to offering delicious, nutritious foods and educational materials online and in store to make it easier to choose foods to help meet health goals, we have specially trained pharmacists on staff who can help educate customers, provide personalized training and guide them to the information, products and services they need to maintain a healthier lifestyle and better quality of life. The program is part of our commitment to provide convenient, affordable health and wellness solutions to our customers.”
Diabetes on the rise
JEWEL-OSCO is introducing the program as diabetes increasingly impacts the lives of more Americans and their families, at a high price both physically and financially.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, 57 million Americans currently have pre-diabetes, which puts them at risk for developing diabetes, as well as heart disease and stroke, in future years. The total estimated cost of diabetes in the U.S. is $174 billion in excess medical expenditures, disability, work loss and premature mortality, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 2007 (most recent year for which CDC data is available).