CITGO’s Corpus Christi Refinery was awarded the Texas General Land Office’s (TGLO) 2008 Oil Spill Prevention and Response Act (OSPRA) Award. For the first time, the award has been bestowed on the same company for two consecutive years.
The OSPRA Award was established by the TGLO, the oldest state agency in Texas, to recognize organizations that have excelled in their efforts to comply with the state’s Oil Spill Prevention and Response Act of 1991. The agency’s primary functions include managing state lands and mineral rights, leasing drilling rights for oil and gas production and protecting the state’s natural resources.
Specifically, the 2008 award recognized the Refinery’s initiatives and achievements during the 2008 calendar year. These included:
* Zero oil spills from Jan. 1, 2008 through Dec. 31, 2008 while transferring some six billion gallons of crude, feedstocks and refined petroleum products across its marine docks.
* Commissioned an underflow dam to contain any residual oil within Refinery property while still allowing for movement of rain run-off and tidal waters between Oak Park waterway and ship channel.
* Purchased, retrofitted, and donated a portable trailer to the Texas General Land Office dedicated exclusively for treatment and rehabilitation of oiled wildlife affected by oil spills.
* Sponsored a “Regulatory Agency Day” for USCG, TGLO, TCEQ, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, Texas Parks & Wildlife, U. S. Customs, and Corpus Christi Fire Dept. representatives to educate them on the refinery’s operations and to tour its facilities.
* Sponsored a “Marine Consortium” for USCG, TGLO, U.S. Customs, Pilots Association, Corpus Christi Fire Dept., and local shipping companies’ representatives to discuss various topics including dock operations, environmental, and safety issues.
* Launched a campaign named “Finish Great in 2008” in late October as part of the refinery’s “Eyes on the Environment Program” to focus on completing the year on a very positive note by emphasizing environmental awareness.
CITGO, based in Houston, is a refiner, transporter and marketer of transportation fuels. The company is owned by PDV America Inc., an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A., the national oil company of Venezuela.